Pages

Friday, May 11, 2012

Curatorial


Design Critique:

My first precedent image is of straight angular lines and my second of curvilinear lines. There is symmetry present within my first precedent and asymmetry in my second thus creating juxtaposition between the two. I showed this in the model by using symmetry through the middle (length-wise) and asymmetry when viewed from the side. This gives the model an organized and uniformed look that relates back to Neo-Classical design, whilst showing a carefree perspective through asymmetry from the French Rococo period. Three-dimensional perspectives are included in my precedents through using overlapping layers. I interpreted this into the model by bunching up three curves, making it hard to see through at the bottom, but showing the transparency of the material at the top where the curves are most prominent. Making the sharp and blunt curves from my precedent a dominant feature to fully express the fluidity of the design and how your eyes follow through the design instantly without effort. Although curves are the dominant part of the model, it would lose effectiveness without the contrasting straight lines that connect my model in unity and balance. A quote spoken by William McCall, “Straight is the line of duty, curved is the line of beauty; Follow the straight line, thou shalt see the curved line ever follow thee”. He speaks of how curved lines create the beauty and essence of an object, but can only be expressed through having a straight line present to unify a design or object, which I have done so with the model.


DSDN 111 Model

No comments:

Post a Comment